Garden Goddess Ghee
So scrumptious with any food you would top with butter. It’s great on potatoes, bread, veggies and many other foods!
1 cup ghee - (see recipe below)
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
Bring ghee to soft room temperature. Mix fresh herbs thoroughly into the ghee. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to one week.
10" x 8" Glass Pan
Stainless Steel Pot
3 Sterilized Mason Jars
Large Glass Measuring Cup
Two 7" x 7" pieces of muslin
Ingredient - 3 lbs BUTTER
Note: Butter varies with its constituents and moisture content, so the timing may fluctuate.
- Place a rack in bottom-center of oven and preheat to 275.
- Unwrap butter (12 sticks) and put in glass pan in oven.
- It takes about 30 min for the butter to melt. Once melted, bits of white foam begin to appear on the top layer. You will notice three layers: white creamy milk solids on the bottom, golden butter fat in the middle and the whey protein and moisture on the top.
- Let cook for about another 30 minutes, and the top layer of foam will crust together and completely cover the pan. You want as much of this to bubble up as possible, without letting it turn brown or burn. If things start to brown, pull it out for a second and turn the oven down a bit.
- Once the top layer forms, carefuly reach a spoon into the oven and scrape the top layer off and discard.
- Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until another layer of white foam forms on the pan. Carefully remove the pan from the oven.
- Scoop the remaining layer of white foam from the top of the golden liquid and discard.
- Pour the pan contents into a large measuring cup or pitcher. Fit a funnel lined with muslin into a sterilized glass jar, than pour the liquid through the lined funnel into the jar.
- Let the butter fat drip through the jar, leaving behind the solids in the muslin. Once all the liquid has dripped through, pour it into a saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, cook the liquid for 10-15 minutes.
- The liquid will simmer and buble. Scoop the froth off the top and side of the pot with a spoon.
- Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent anything from sticking, or it will burn and give the ghee a burned flavor.
- Aftern 10 to 15 minutes, the golden amber liquid will become clear and most the frothing will stop.
- Pour the liquid into a clean dry measuring cup. Strain one more time and your ghee is ready for adding herbs!
I usually do the ghee while I need to do other things in the kitchen. It does not need to be refrigerated and will last up to one year.
"Do it till it feels good, honey!"
Listed here are some of our favorite recipes at the farm. Although, it's unusual for us to have a recipe. We cook based on my grandmother's legacy - she was an incredible cook and told me when I asked how much of something to add to "Do it till it feels good, honey".
1 large cucumber, thin sliced at a bias
1 tomato, seeded & small diced
5 green onions, chopped at a bias
½ cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons Braggs amino acids
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Mix well, all ingredients and serve chilled.
Fresh Veggie Spring Rolls w/ Spicy Sesame Dipping Sauce
The Rolls: Shred your favorite veggies, and hydrate some vermicelli or cellophane noodles. Soak the spring roll wrapper in warm water until it starts to soften, then set on a towel to dry off excess water. Rolls the veggies and noodles into the wrapper, and fold in both sides to seal it.
The Dipping Sauce:
2 tablespoons Braggs amino acids
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon brown mustard
½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
½ teaspoon agave or honey
Whisk together all ingredients, and serve chilled.
Lemon Balm Vinaigrette
· 1 Tbsp. shallots, minced
· 2 Tbsp. lemon balm, minced
· 1 Stalk Lemon Grass diced fine
· 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
· 6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
· 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
· 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
· 1 tsp. honey
· 8 Tbsp olive oil
Mix first 8 ingredients together, then slowly blend in the oil. Mix well before serving. This is delicious on salads, especially fish or chicken salads. You can also marinate chicken or fish piece in this mixture before cooking. If you don't have lemon balm you can substitute 1/2 as much lemon verbena, or twice as much lemon grass finely chopped. After cooking, serve the vinaigrette as a sauce. Makes about 2/3 cup.